EUR/USD Extends Wave 3 but Pullback in Wave 4 ExpectedEUR/USD has reached the -161.8% Fibonacci target (blue box). This confirms the development of a wave 3 (orange) of wave 3 (grey)
Trading Derivatives carries a high level of risk to your capital and you should only trade with money you can afford to lose. Trading Derivatives may not be suitable for all investors, so please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved, and seek independent advice if necessary. A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) can be obtained either from this website or on request from our offices and should be considered before entering into a transaction with us. Raw Spread accounts offer spreads from 0.0 pips with a commission charge of USD $3.50 per 100k traded. Standard account offer spreads from 1 pips with no additional commission charges. Spreads on CFD indices start at 0.4 points. The information on this site is not directed at residents in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.
This article will analyse when to expect a pullback, what kind of retracement and how deep based on the Elliott Wave and Fibonacci patterns.
Price Charts and Technical Analysis
The EUR/USD is showing a very strong bearish impulse (orange box). The bearish 4 hour candles are mostly bearish, large and dominant in size, and also closing near the candle lows.
Despite the arrow down, price action is eventually expected to build some type of pullback now or with the next lower low:
- A pullback now at the -161.8% Fibonacci target is likely. Price action has probably completed a wave 3 (blue) and a pullback in wave 4 (blue) is expected.
- Usually wave 4s are shallow and choppy pullbacks. The main resistance and bounce levels are the 23.6% Fib and especially the 38.2% Fibonacci level.
- A break above the 50% Fib places the Elliott Wave outlook on hold (orange circle). A deep retracement invalidates it (red circle).
- The -27.2% Fibonacci target is located at 1.1825. This is where another wave 4 pattern (orange) could appear.
- The bearish reversal is part of a larger wave ABC (pink) or 123 pattern on the daily chart.
On the 1 hour chart, the wave 3 (blue) impulse is very impulsive as price action fails to even retrace back to the 21 ema low:
- A break above the 21 ema zone could indicate the start of the wave 4 (blue) pattern.
- A second re-break below the 21 ema zone could indicate the end of the wave 4 and the start of wave 5 (blue) of wave 5 (green) of wave 3 (orange).
- As mentioned on the 4 hour charts, a shallow retracement is expected in wave 4 (blue).
The analysis has been done with the indicators and template from the SWAT method (simple wave analysis and trading). For more daily technical and wave analysis and updates, sign-up to our newsletter
For a look at all of today’s economic events, check out our economic calendar.